Sunday, April 19, 2009

Stubborn People and Chess




BlueEyedRook v. NN
April 2009
www.Redhotpawn.com

Black to play and win (?)











I have commented on this issue a couple times, but it never ceases to frustrate me.
http://blueeyedrook.blogspot.com/2006/07/throwing-in-towel.html

Why do people not resign clearly lost games?

Take the position above. How can anyone with a chess rating over 800 lose this playing white -- yet black still plays on.

I would have more sympathy for black if there was blitz match where black can still win by white's time running out, but this is a correspondence match -- and a generous one too with a week or so to make moves.

I understand egos bruise easily (and indeed the player playing black -- no need to give names) is ranked higher than me, but at the same time what is the point is dragging this on?

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Glenn Wilson said...

I suppose black could be hoping for stalemate. Or, trying to avoid the loss of rating points as looong as possible. The best antidote is, I suppose, to find and play the most precise, fastest mate.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Robert Pearson said...

Glenn-nah, queen BOTH pawns and stair-step mate his sorry behind. :)

 
At 12:59 AM, Anonymous chess said...

hi
can you please add a link to this page
http://www.alilg.com/games/free-online-chess-challenge/
at your blog, if you liked that page?
thanks.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Rihel said...

The player may be hoping that you will die. Or get so bored that you forget to make your moves and forfeit on time. I've heard tale of such weird endings to snail mail chess before.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Admin said...

are u stubborn?

 
At 5:12 AM, Anonymous Intermezzo said...

Hi there,

Totally agree with you about those pesky resignation refuseniks. Let's bring back arbitration for games where one player clearly feels the outcome is decided and wants to go home early!

Been enjoying your blog for a while as I've come to realise that chess blogging is a sort of "group therapy" for the addicted.

Therefore I decided it was time for me to "stand up" confess to my own addiction and start my own chess blog...

chessticles.blogspot.com

I hope you'll find time to come visit as I've managed to find someone who knows the moves from the Lenin vs. Hitler game! :)

Keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

<< BACK TO THE REST OF THE SITE!