Thursday, June 09, 2005

Greed kills.

This was a game I just played tonight. Not very pretty I am afraid. I once again find myself a piece down, but my opponent ends up making a key mistake. I just played 1... Qg5+ forking the king and the poor unguarded bishop at e5. (See below).


(NN vs. EyesOfBlue)
(FICS Game)
(White to Move)

Even if that poor bishop falls, white still has a solid piece advantage (though diministhed by the gaping hole in white's king-side defenses). Accepting his losses, and kissing the poor e5 bishop goodbye, white's correct move was 2. Bg4.

However, desperate to save its imperiled e5 bishop, white played 2. Bg3?. What follows is a forced draw. 2... Nxg3. 3. fxg3 Qxg3+. With white's king in check, it must move to h1, but black's queen merely follows. 4. Kh1 Qh3+ (see below). And now because none of white's pieces can interject, the game is a draw as the white king oscillates between h1 and g1 while the black queen follows with h3 and g3. Draw by repetition is unavoidable.


1 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Chicago Permit Application said...

Thanks for postinng this

 

Post a Comment

<< BACK TO THE REST OF THE SITE!