Thursday, February 09, 2006

Reflections

On a relatively slow chess day, I reviewed some of my old posts. I find it hard to believe that I have managed this chess blog for over 9 months now. It all started with a super boring day at work. My little blog has grown ever since. Some interesting facts:

-- 1,125 people have visited my site in the last 9 months. (This averages to about 15 people a day).

-- 73 posts have been made by me on this blog.

-- Numerous people have "linked me" to their chess related sites.

Still with all this success, I am left asking myself: What next?

I must say I am a little overwhelmed by my "peers."

I can never be as witty and fun as http://boylston-chess-club.blogspot.com/ ; and

I can never offer the high-ranked analysis found in http://patzersmind.blogspot.com/ ; and

I can never match the level of dedication found in http://kingsgambit.blogspot.com/ .

What is my niche? What can I offer?

As I mention in my bio, I am not particularly good at chess. Not bad mind you, but definitely not good. Currently www.redhotpawn.com has me ranked 1449 out of 10,035 users. So roughly I am in the top 14%. Though this is a good achievement, this is hardly extraordinary. Many GMs have their own blogs. Why should anyone read mine?

I like to think the perspective I add to the chess blog scene is commentary from an average player. That's why I purposely choose relatively simple chess problems to examine.... stuff that most GMs would laugh away as "basic" but stuff that normal/average players often miss. My last post (regarding a simple, one-move combination) is a good example. Reviewing the post, I realize it is "easy," but I also feel that it is a level of problems that you wouldn't find on one of the larger, grander chess blogs.

I am debating whether to take on more grandiose analysis exercises, but I do not believe that's why people come to my site. I think people come to see "average" chess analysis and commentary . . . . not "expert."

Here is to mediocrity!

3 Comments:

At 1:13 AM, Blogger Calvin said...

i don't think that any of us are good enough to be grandmasters at this point. :) Good blog. keep it up!

 
At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello friends,

Your blog is very nice.

Un saludo from Spain

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Friend of Plato said...

I like this blog very much. I think you're ability to put diagrams up is a real 'selling' point (Since I'm clueless about doing such elementary things.)

 

Post a Comment

<< BACK TO THE REST OF THE SITE!