Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Sore Losers

(Black to move and Draw)
(EyesOfBlue vs. NN)

Scholars will look at this problem in disbelief. Black can acheive a draw out of this position? How?! Simple, it's called "logging out."
Ah, the joys of online play. This is a common phenomenon on the internet chess circuit. People have perfect, impeccably working computers during the match only to have those very same computers go terribly heywire when they suddenly fall behind in material. (Funny, how nobody's computer ever crashes when they are a queen ahead?!). I won't give the offender's name away. Everybody gets a bad day (maybe he was having one?), but I thought I would share with everyone the interesting dialouge that followed. Needless to say I was angry, hence my opening barrage.
EyesofBlue: Nice.... your computer "loses connection" when I am up a full queen and rook. Real nice. I'll wait the two weeks and have this adjudicated.
NN: well since your being a dick about it fine wait two weeks atleast i attemted to come back
Eyesofblue: You are the one who bailed.
NN: idid not bail out the damm phone range i have a phone line moron
EyesOfBlue: right when I promoted my pawn to queen and had you beat the phone rang?!
NN: thats what happens when your on call
NN: gosh what a marvel
And this where I dropped the conversation. You can't win with these people . . . I mean literally . . . they will just continue to bail out of games when they find themselves losing. My favorite part of this story is that this guy still hasn't conceded defeat. If his phone reallly did ring, he could just resign this game. But no . . . this is his tactic.
It won't work with me though. God bless the "adjudicate" function at FICS. . . it's the only weapon people have again such poor sports.

2 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger BlueEyedRook said...

I linked this to www.chessgames.com and were told by many people that I was actually the one out of bounds. You agree? Don't be afraid! I can take criticism.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You can try setting the Noescape feature at FICS and then seek opponents who also have noescape set to 1. The only problem with this, that I found, is that not enough people have noescape turned on.

 

Post a Comment

<< BACK TO THE REST OF THE SITE!